Women in business are growing at a rapid rate. Starting a business is not that difficult; however, maintaining the vision for a business in your mind and heart is needed to keep you motivated towards your goal. A vision is a mental picture of how you want things to be. For instance, you would carry a mental picture of what being a success means to you.
- You can see people coming to you saying “Yes” I want what you have to offer.
- You see your products or services being purchased and your cash register full of cash.
But keeping a vision alive is not the first step to building a successful venture. The first step is to ask the most important question you will have to answer prior to being a success. That question is, Why?
- Why are you doing what you do (or want to do) in business?
- Why have you chosen (or will choose) to focus on a particular field, discipline, idea, etc.?
It’s important to know why you intend to do something as intense as operating a business. A woman can start a business based on the wishes and dreams of others or based on the traditions within her family. Perhaps, like other, you grew up in a family business and felt obligated to carry it on. But now, you might feel discouraged and unmotivated. The business could have great potential but your lack of enthusiasm makes the marketing lackluster or almost non-existent. When, you think about why you are in this particular business, its not because of your personal passion but because of the dreams of others.
Working in a business because of the expectations of others is not always enough to motivate you to go through the ups and downs of business. You must have a passion for what you do. It’s when you love the work, and want to do the business, that you are in the right field.
This brings you back to why answering the question “Why” is an important first step to create a vision for your business.
- Why do you even want to serve a certain target community, locally or online, in this manner?
- Is this something you would choose to do on your own, or do you feel forced to go into this business or service?
- Do you know that this business is the best use of your talents and skills?
- Are you honoring your personal and business values through this business?
Answer the why and you’re on your way to understanding what you need to be doing in your life through business.
Take time to find your true heart’s desire in business and pursue your true dreams. Then you will be a business woman who is ready to continue building your business in a way that enhances your quality of life and motivates you to continue on to success, no matter what obstacles you will inevitably face along the way.